Dutch island life and top cuisine is a great fit!
It’s tough to beat a day at the beach, which then ends in a cozy restaurant, where you get treated with a 5 or 6 course menu.
And when you head to Texel, this is what you can experience yourself. I’ve been to Texel and was surprised by its cuisine and how the chefs mix the local products and serve delicious meals.
We recommend a few restaurants, where we’ve been to, in our article “Best Things to Do on Texel, Netherlands“.
I had the pleasure to try different courses and each one was its own highlight. The chef from the Drank & Spijslokaal Het Schoutenhuys shared the recipe for the bacon cake, which he serves in his restaurant. This was so good!
That’s your opportunity to get your Texel experience at home with this recipe:
1 hour 30 minutes
I visited the island Texel in the Netherlands and enjoyed a 6 course menu at the Schoutenhuys restaurant.
They serve local delicacies in Asian style in the size of tapas.
As a desert we got served the very delicious Spekkoek (bacon cake).
The recipe is from the cookbook “Kleine gerechten uit de indische keuken” by Ciska Kress.
- 500g butter
- 10 eggs
- 500g white fine sugar (Basterdsuiker)
- 250g wheat flour
- 5 tsp anise powder
- 10 tsp cinnamon
- 5 tsp clove powder
- 3 tsp nutmeg powder
- 2 ½ tsp cardamom powder
For this recipe you need an oven where you can operate top and bottom heat separately.
Use a springform pan with 22 cm.
- First, cream the butter with a mixer until smooth. Separate the eggs and add the egg yolks and the fine sugar to the butter.
- Beat the mixture for about 10 minutes with the mixer.
- Beat the egg whites and add them, then add the flour. Mix this dough well.
- Divide the dough into two halves, add all the spices to one half.
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Grease the springform pan with butter. Now set the oven to the lowest setting (125 degrees). Bake the first thin layer in the oven for 3 to 4 minutes with bottom heat only.
- Then turn off the bottom heat and turn on the top heat. Bake alternating brown and white layers, about 18 to 20 total. You can expect 3 minutes of baking time per layer.
In total, the baking process will take about 50-60 minutes.
- When the springform pan is completely full, turn off the top heat and turn on the bottom heat.
So let the cake rest for another 5 to 10 minutes at 125 degrees.
Let the cake cool and cut into thin slices.
There are far more delicious local Texel meals. And it’s hard to pick out one and there is no need for it, as the VVV Texel got a whole list of local Texel recipes here.